-->
ThoughtsOnline

Tuesday, July 17, 2007


Apropos of the post below, I am bewildered by those (and especially by those on the right) who take issue with my assertion that it's not 'worth' having American troops die in order to save the lives of Iraqis.

To these critics (comment 46, for example), such an argument is 'immoral', as (I'm paraphrasing here) we're all created in God's image and to place a higher value on the life of an American is just wrong.

While I know that is the standard pap they teach in religious schools and makes them feel good saying it, it isn't something they follow through and practice.

Given their druthers, there ain't a parent alive who, forced to choose, would choose to save the life of a stranger over their own child. There ain't too many people who would choose to save the live of a stranger over their brothers and sisters, mothers and fathers, aunts and uncles. There ain't too many people who would choose to save the live of a stranger over their friends and neighbors.

The fact is we ALL deem those we love and like more 'valuable' than those we don't know. And that is why those who criticize me are hypocrites. Forced to make a choice, they would do the same thing as I would. I'm just willing to admit it.

That is why I place the lives and wellbeing of Americans ahead of the lives and wellbeing of Iraqis. That is why I'm willing to allow American soldiers to shoot at anything suspicious, as I would much rather have a dead Iraqi 'civilian' than a dead American soldier. That is why I'm willing to let the military lay waste to pretty much anything they want, mosques included, as the lives and wellbeing of American soldiers comes way ahead of protecting Muslim religious sites.

And that is why I'd be willing to let the military bomb the heck out of Iran. I believe Iran is making nukes and that they will use them against us. And if they use them against us, there will lots and lots of dead Americans. And in order to keep that from happening, I am more than willing to kill lots and lots and lots and lots of Iranians, whether or not they're so-called civilians.

As I wrote in response to the above-linked critic, who called me immoral for my position, I believe my family, friends, neighbors and fellow Americans are more valuable than those elsewhere in the world. And if that makes me 'immoral', then I will happily wear that badge.