-->
ThoughtsOnline

Wednesday, June 27, 2007


While Tom Tancredo got some publicity through his stunt of sending a head of lettuce to Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff, to protest Chertoff's comments that failing to pass Bush's amnesty bill for illegal immigrants would cause all sorts of problems for American farmers, a position Tancredo mightily disagrees with, I'm wondering why the Secretary of Homeland Security is off pontificating on the plight of the American farmer.

Mr. Secretary, in case you've forgotten, your job is to coordinate our efforts to keep us safe from enemy attack. You're not on the government payroll to offer your views on improving the productivity and/or profitability of the agriculture industry.

When I hire someone, I want them to do the job I'm paying them to do. I hire someone to tell me how to improve my golf swing, I don't want them talking to me about the upcoming NBA draft. If I hire someone to mow my lawn, I don't want them talking about the best place to catch a movie.

Mr. Secretary, and I say this with as much respect as I can muster up, please stick to what you're supposed to be doing. Try to do YOUR job. Perhaps if you focused on your job, then America would feel - and be - safer.