Monday, April 30, 2007
How has Bush screwed up Iraq? Let me count the ways...
* He justified the invasion on the 'slam dunk' of Hussein having WMDs, rather than the need to simply make sure Hussein didn't have WMDS.
* He failed to confront the Democrats and other critics falsely accusing of him as having lied to the American people.
* He failed to limit our involvement to getting rid of Hussein and eliminating whatever WMDs Hussein had. Instead, he got behind the idea of creating a democracy that would inspire the world to give up terrorism. Unfortunately, while the American people would definitely have supported the former, they did not - and would not - support the latter.
* He failed to provide the American people with any detail about how 'victory' would be defined.
* He failed to provide the American people with any sort of ability to measure the progress we are supposedly making with the costs, in both lives and money, that it is taking to acheive his goals.
Given the above, is it any surprise that the American people want our troops out of Iraq? Is it any surprise that the American people greeted with a big "well, duh!" Harry Reid's declaration that the war was 'lost'?