-->
ThoughtsOnline

Thursday, May 18, 2006


Professor Bainbridge is fed up with the GOP and for the following reasons (I offer up my comments in italics):

* Failure to finish the 9/11 job by bringing Osama to justice (While I would certainly would prefer that we had killed the bugger, I don't think it's for a lack of trying and I certainly don't think the Democrats would have done any better).

* An unnecessary and unwise war of choice in Iraq, waged with inadequate resources (going into Iraq was not the problem, staying in is, and there was more than enough troops to do what I wanted done) and a degree of political interference unmatched since LBJ ran the Viet Nam War from the Oval Office, as forcefully demonstrated by the WSJ's extended story on retired Maj. Gen. John Batiste. (I don't necessarily agree, and I need more than the complaints from the generals whose advice wasn't followed before I'd sign on the Professors's assertion)

* Runaway spending (no argument here at all)

* Vast expansion of the federal government in areas like No Child Left Behind, Sarbanes-Oxley, and the Medicare drug benefit (again, no argument)

* Failure to address entitlement reform (I would have preferred that this be done, but I won't condemn the Republicans for not trying harder)

* Failure to address comprehensive immigration reform that includes a guest worker system and regularization of the current undocumented population (I too wanted immigration reform but focusing on the enforcement aspects and not on how to be nicer to those illegally in the US)

* Infingement of civil liberties in the various NSA domestic spying programs (I'm not sure the Professor knows for certain what has and hasn't been done but, in any event, I have NO problem with even the most sensationalistic of claims being made about what has been done. For example, I have no problem with the NSA compiling a database of phone numbers I have dialed. I don't care if they've listened in on phone calls I have made or received from overseas.)

* An unwillingness to confront the corruption plaguing the party by virtue of the K Street Gang; or, rather, the Gang's lack of virtue (Ditto. GOP crooks bother me worse than that of the Democratic variety... for we're supposed to be better)

* Inability to admit error (I don't know who he's referring to. Bush doesn't do it a lot but has on occasion (Miers)).

* Entrenched anti-intellectualism (Here I disagree with the good Professor. Having spent more time chasing degrees and thinking big thoughts about big things doesn't make one any more qualified to offer up advice on a subject than those who haven't. Of course, it's easy for me to say that as I stopped after my four year's worth of classes (even if it took me a whole lot longer than four years to rack up those credits) and didn't go on to law school and decide to spend my career in the academic world...)

The bottom line.... even though I disgree with his reasons, I sure agree that the GOP hasn't done a whole lot to earn our continued support.