-->
ThoughtsOnline

Thursday, October 27, 2005


Given the latest news regarding Fitzgerald's investigation, I'll admit my prediction of no indictments is looking a bit shaky...

So, as any good gambler would do, I'm doubling down by issuing new predictions, for which I offer a 100% money back guarantee if they don't come true...

First, I predict that Fitzgerald will not be indicting Wilson or Plame or anybody in the CIA or anybody in the MSM.

If Fitzgerald indicts Rove and/or Libby, I predict lots of grumbling from the right side about how Joe Wilson and the renegade CIA are the real culprits and how it is a travesty that they will be getting off scot-free while Rove and Libby face charges for only doing what was right. I will also predict some, but not a lot, of grumbling from the MSM about how these indictments will have a chilling effect on the exchange of information in Washington and how it will stifle whistle-blowing on the part of those looking to expose corruption and dirty play. I predict lots of stories about how Bush is in trouble and, without Rove, will be even more a lame duck than is usually the case. I also predict that there will lots of stories about how the GOP needs a McCain (actually, the McCain) to restore its credibility. And I predict none of these pro-McCain stories will contain the name Charles Keating.

If Fitzgerald doesn't indict Rove and/or Libby, I predict lots of grumbling from the left side about a whitewash, how this proves that Bush has corrupted everything and that letting Rove and Libby off rewards the 'politics of personal destruction' approach that this White House practices. I also predict the right, although relieved that no senior players in the White House were charged, will still complain about Fitzgerald passing up the chance to punish Wilson.

If Fitzgerald doesn't indict someone for leaking Plame's name/role (either under the IIPA or the Espionage Act), I predict the left will scream that national security was compromised in a way not seen since the days of Aldrich Ames and that Fitzgerald is letting them get away with it. As a bonus, I predict a Barbara Boxer (empty head, never misses a photo-op) type will introduce legislation which they claim will better protect those brave souls who put their lives on the line for our national security.

I also predict that neither Bush nor Cheney will be indicted, nor will they be listed as unindicted co-conspirators... and I predict that the left, although happy they've gotten Rove out of the White House, will complain about the true masterminds of the conspiracy getting off.

I also predict that in the not-too-distant future, someone like Bob Woodward will write a book in which he alleges the real reason for her withdrawal was that the Bush team knew indictments were coming and that they feared that Miers would somehow be dragged into the crossfire, dooming her candidacy, and that they took advantage of the Krauthammer Ploy as a cover for withdrawing her name.

And finally, I predict none of this will matter in the least come November of 2006.

These are my final predictions.... you can bank on them.